Draft Minutes from November’s Vestry Meeting

Grace Episcopal Church  Martinez, California

Minutes of Vestry November 8, 2017

Present:  The Reverend Dr. Deborah White, Les Marks (Jr. Warden), Barbara Brooks, Pat Hambly, Sally Hanson, Ron Luttringer, Lynda Dyer, Marj Leeds (Clerk) Absent: Stan Applegate (Sr. Warden), John Heyse Guests: Paula Menconi (Treasurer)

 

  • CALL TO ORDER AND OPENING PRAYER.  The meeting was called to order at 5:03 p.m. by Rev. Deb, who led the opening prayer.  

 

 

  • Bible Study – Rev. Deb led the Vestry in bible study related to conflict.

 

 

  • Consent Agenda Items – It was M/S/A (Marks/Hambly ) to approve the minutes of the October 11, 2017 vestry meeting , Rector’s Report, Senior Warden’s Report, Junior Warden’s Report and Treasurer’s Report.  

 

 

  • Old Business

 

  1. Update on Music – Deb reported that Gary Evans had surgery today but has not heard back from the family.  Robert Adams is acting as Musical Director through the end of November.  Deb has 3 people to be interviewed to fill in after that time.
  2. Update on Ministry Teams
    1. Education (Adult Formation) – Barbara Brooks reported that the nursery rota is out and she is working on future scheduling.  She also reported that work is in process for Shield the Vulnerable and background checks.  November 19th is our adult formation session – Screenagers and we are hoping for a good turnout.  
    2. Buildings and Grounds – There has not been a meeting since the last Vestry meeting.  The next work of the committee will be putting together an overall master list of work to be done.  
    3. Worship and Liturgy – The committee met last week and reviewed the survey results.  They discussed piano placement (stay in the back of the church), family service (will stay), and communion bread (will use wafers during Advent and see how that goes).  During Advent a new Eucharistic Prayer will be used.  
    4. Disaster Preparedness – The group has met and is working issues.  Lynda brought up the question of whether there is a fire extinguisher in the back of the Church.  Les will follow up.
  3. Stewardship – Deb suggested that the Vestry could set a good example by handing their pledge cards in (heh, heh).  The group reviewed the list to determine what additional follow up should be done.  In gathering will be this Sunday.  
  4. Celebration of New Ministry – Deb thanked the group for all their work.  
  5. Master Calendar – – the following events are upcoming and were discussed at the meeting
    1. November 18th – Italian Dinner and food in gathering (free event)
    2. Advent – will have healing prayer during the services.
    3. Christmas Eve is a Sunday this year.  There will be one service that morning at 10:00 a.m.  The Christmas Pageant will be at 5:30.   A Choral Concert will be at 10:00 p.m. with Eucharist to follow at 10:30.  On Sunday (New Year’s Eve) we will have Christmas Lessons and Carols at the 10:00 service.  The 8:00 service on New Year’s Eve morning will include Eucharist and be a “normal” service..
  6. Finances –  
    1. Marj reported that the Rector’s contract includes a provision for a sabbatical of 5 months every 5 years.  However, it is unclear how the backfill is done or what that would cost.  Deb will discuss with other Rectors how they have seen Sabbaticals covered so that costs can be estimated and included in the 2018 budget.
    2. Marj asked how we account for one-time pledge givers.   Paula explained that the money goes onto the ledger at the time it is received.
    3. The group reiterated that it is our practice to immediately sell any stock donated to the Church.
    4. Rector’s Salary – the cost of living increase is 3.5%.  The actual budget including salary review will be done at the December Vestry meeting.  Ron Luttringer asked if the Finance Committee is still active.  The group suggested Paula, John Heyse, and Dick Evans as a Finance Committee.  Deb will contact John and Dick to ask if they will serve.

 

  • New Business

 

  1. New Deacon – Deb gave a quick “teach session” on the function of a Deacon – to be a bridge between the Church and the world.  Deb is currently working with Walter on his contract.  In the liturgy he will bid the confession, read the gospel, set the table, and do the dismissal.  He will also be preaching one Sunday a month.  It is typically a 3 year assignment.
  2. Youth Ministry – Josh and Jess Senn will be taking up Youth Group.  
  3. Audit– Our audit is scheduled for tomorrow.  
  4. Stations of the Cross – Lynda Dyer is investigating and will bring forward a proposal in January.  There may also be a purchasing albs.

 

  • Generative Discussion – Being Part of the Larger Church

 

The larger church, our Diocese, has great advantages and some disadvantages.  And the conversation was rich.  

 

  • Pastoral Care Updates – Deb provided an update on some persons in the Parish.

 

 

  • Closing Prayer and Dismissal

 

Respectfully submitted,

Marj Leeds, Clerk

Leave a Reply