Present: The Reverend Dr. Deborah White (Rector), Lynda Dyer (Sr. Warden) Betty Case, Josh Senn (departed at 6:36), Connie Towey, Pat Hambly, Stephanie Zichichi,
Absent: Paula Menconi (excused), Christina Reich (excused), Jim Maniatis (Jr. Warden),
Guests: The Rev. Walter Ramsey, Marj Leeds (Clerk pro-tem and Interim Treasurer), Jack Case, Liz Charlton
Call to Order and Opening Prayer. The meeting was called to order at 5:07 p.m. and led in prayer by Rev. Deb.
Bible Study. 1 Corinthians 12:1-11. The group read and discussed the passage about spiritual gifts.
Consent Agenda. It was M/S/C (Towey/Case) to approve the consent agenda: Minutes of October Vestry meeting; Rector’s Report; Treasurer’s Report and Senior Warden’s Report.
Stewardship (Building and Grounds) Stewardship – Marj Leeds made a presentation on the current financial status of the parish, including initial discussions regarding the 2020 budget
Follow-up on Michele Lynch legacy – Deb informed the Vestry that we received a check for a little over $89,000 from the estate of Michele Lynch. A motion was made to direct Marj Leeds to work with our advisor at Morgan Stanley on an investment strategy for the money M/S/C (Hambly/Zichichi)
Education Building Remodel Follow-up – The group agreed to table M/S/C (Towey/Case) this item based upon current finances.
Update on Ministry Teams
- Service (Outreach) – The Giving tree is up and going well with most of the gifts claimed. Walter reported on the Deacon’s Pantry. We are sending representatives to the Interfaith Housing Coalition of Martinez. Deb has been approached by the group to consider allowing the Church parking lot to be used for folks to park their cars overnight. The concept is in initial stages with many more details to come. The proposal would go to the Outreach Committee and then to the Vestry for decision and action.
- Worship – There is a meeting of Worship and Liturgy tomorrow to work on Advent, Christmas, Lessons and Carols, etc.
- Education – Lynda Dyer reported that things seem to be going well with Godly Play and Nursery. The backpacks in the Sanctuary have gone over very well. New toys were purchased for the nursery; however they seem to be migrating. Lynda said she is considering a storage cabinet.
- Evangelism-Welcome – Coffee Hour is scheduled through year end and the 2020 sign-up sheet will be posted soon. The committee is developing a new welcoming handbook. Lynda Dyer passed out name tags to the Vestry members who were present. She is looking for a display board and hoping to have it in place by the beginning of Advent.
- Pastoral Care – Connie Towey is currently looking for some special dietary needs casserole recipes. Deb reported that there are several parishioners being supported through difficulties.
- Parish Life – No update at this point. There has been a proposal for a caroling party.
- Stewardship Campaign – This item was covered under item #1 above.
- Fundraising – Catherine Sumner has volunteered to lead this effort. Stephanie Zichichi reported on the Octoberfest. The profit for the event was about $1500. Stephanie asked about the possibility of a pasta feed in December. The consensus was that is a great idea, but someone needs to volunteer to do it!
- By-laws review committee – Connie and Christina met with Rev. Deb and have developed proposed changes to the Church by-laws. There will be further discussion at the next meeting of the Vestry with the goal of having the updates made prior to the annual meeting.
- Nursery Hire – Barbara Brooks has recently taken over as leader of the Altar Guild which will leave her very little time to work this issue. Lynda Dyer will ask Amelia Brooks to pick this up.
- SWEEPS Ministry Fair Forum – Rev. Deb reported on the fair which we are looking to have at the December Faithful Forum.
- New Phone System – Following a HUGE amount of work, over 20 hours of Rev. Deb’s time alone, the phone system is almost working.
- Time of Vestry Meetings – The group agreed to stick with the 5:00 start time. When the new Vestry meets in 2020 this will be revisited.
- Vestry Recruitment – Connie Towey and Josh Senn reported on their progress regarding Vestry nominations for 2020. Amelia Brooks and Betty Case have agreed to run. Connie has contacted Paula Menconi for her input also.
- Thanksgiving Dinner – The dinner is rolling along. Folks are signing up for bringing items. Deb is making flyers with the goal of getting folks to come who would otherwise not have the opportunity to celebrate.
- Deb time off 12/31 to 1/5 – The Vestry approved Rev. Deb’s vacation request.
- Las Trampas Rental – We have been approached by Las Trampas Rehabilitation who are looking for a place to park busses overnight. As we have never rented the parking lot the Vestry discussed the concept. All agreed that the concept is good, but “the devil is in the details”.
Closing Prayer and Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 7:05 p.m.
Marjorie Leeds, Clerk Pro-tem