Vestry Minutes for July, 2018

Grace Episcopal Church

 Martinez, California

Unadopted Minutes of Vestry Meeting

July 11, 2018

 Present:       The Reverend Dr. Deborah White (Rector), Stan Applegate (Sr. Warden), Les Marks (Jr. Warden), Paula Menconi (Treasurer), Lynda Dyer, Pat Hambly, Sally Hanson, Ron Luttringer, Josh Senn, The Rev. Walter Ramsey

Absent:        Connie Towey

Guests:        Jennifer Sabroe (Clerk), Marj Leeds, Jim Maniatis, Denise Hansen, Kris Kamerzell (Discovery Builders), Jason Tamayo (Discovery Builders)

Call to Order and Opening Prayer. The meeting was called to order at 5:03 p.m. by Rev. Deb who led the opening prayer.

 Bible Study. Rev. Deb briefly explained why we have General Convention and the scriptural foundations for our form of church government.

 Consent Agenda. It was M/S/C (Applegate/Marks) to approve: the minutes of the June 20, 2018, Vestry meeting; Rector’s Report; Senior Warden’s Report; Junior Warden’s Report; and Treasurer’s Report.

Discovery Builders Request for Easement for Water Line.  Kris Kamerzell (Project Manager) and Jason Tamayo (Vice President of land development) from Discovery Builders, presented information on Discovery Builders’ request for the granting of an easement across church property to provide a water line for the residential subdivision going in east of church property (previously an RV storage lot).

During and following the presentation Mr. Tamayo and Mr. Kamerzell answered questions from those present.

At the conclusion of the presentation, Rev. Deb stated that in order to consider the request the church would need to have an actual proposal in writing that we could look at, including: a survey of the property line, with it staked where it comes down; a plot map; legal description for attorney to look at; and an offer of cash. Additionally, she informed Mr. Tamayo that, per our insurance company, we would also need a guarantee of access during construction, a guarantee of work hours, hold harmless from whomever is doing construction and anyone doing anything on our property, and insurance certificate(s) for whomever is doing the work.

The vestry thanked the gentlemen for their presentation, at which point Mr. Tamayo and Mr. Kamerzell left.

The Vestry and guests engaged in discussion.

It was M/S (Hambly/Dyer) to move forward with negotiation with Discovery Builders for the easement.

The motion passed by the following vote:

AYES: Applegate, Dyer, Hambly, Menconi, Senn

NOES: Hanson, Luttringer, Marks

ABSENT: Towey

There was consensus to form a subcommittee to work with Rev. Deb. on the negotiations with Discovery Builders. Subcommittee: Dick Evans, Ron Luttringer, Jimmy Maniatis, Josh Senn.

Old Business

Update on Music Director. Deb provided an update on the status of the music director’s position. The position has been offered to Ferris Gluck. She wants to accept the job, but is having difficulty finding a place to live here (she is relocating from So. Calif.)

Update on Ministry Teams – Service (Outreach), Education (Adult Formation); Evangelism, Parish Life, Pastoral Care.

a. Outreach met on Sunday. Will present report to Vestry at next meeting

b. Education. Nothing new to report yet.

c. Evangelism. Nothing new to report.

d. Parish Life. Nothing new to report.

e. Pastoral Care. The prayer list is getting long.

f. Stewardship. John Lee has taken the lead, formed a committee and the committee is looking at campaign ideas.

g. Worship and Liturgy. Lengthy meeting yesterday (July 10). Minutes were provided. Two highlights were noted: 1) The way the Prayers of the People are done during the service will be changed; and 2) because the Season after Pentecost is so long, there will be a change up in liturgy in middle of the season, using a new Eucharistic Prayer.

h. Buildings and Grounds. Lengthy meeting on Sunday (July 8). Minutes were provided. A few highlights were noted.

  • Parish Hall Slider Windows. In late June, when the back of the property was being mowed in preparation for the Bishop’s visit, a rock was spit out of the power mower and broke one of the panes of the double pane slider windows (the one closest to the kitchen, on the north end of the hall). Rev. Deb reminded that both sliders at the north and south ends of the hall have been nailed shut as a result of the lawsuit last year and subsequent removal of the old deck. Also, at that time it had been recommended that the south slider (closest to the playground) be framed out as a window, because when/if a new deck is reinstalled, it will not run the entire length of the building and therefore no need for a walk-out at the south end. However, now that the window at the north end has been damaged, Buildings and Grounds recommended framing the north slider as a window, since it needs to be repaired now anyway. There was discussion. Rev. Deb reminded the Vestry of its earlier commitment to complete the repairs following an injury claim in 2016. The sliders were nailed shut and the deck removed, eliminating the hazard, but the permanent repairs still need to be done. Following discussion, it was M/S/C (Dyer/Luttringer) to send the recommendation back to the Buildings and Grounds committee to reassess the cost of replacing the north sliding door and reframing the south sliding door to a window. AYES: Dyer, Hambly, Hanson, Luttringer, Marks, Menconi, Senn   NOES: Applegate  ABSENT: Towey
  • All Parish Work Day. Jennifer and Rev. Deb will look at the calendar and determine a day for a work party. José Dyer has offered to do mulching and fixing up of the playground area.
  • Tree Issues. Rev. Deb reported that she has met with the tree consultant, and the tree issues are in hand.

Calendar. No slow down but that’s good news! July 15 – Martinez Clippers game, July 22 – Paul, Apostle of Christ, the movie (out of Wednesday Bible Study)  August 18 – Luau.

In response to Lynda’s question about recording Bible Study for those who work during the day, Rev. Deb indicated that she’s thinking about doing podcast for Adult Formation/Education.

Yoga update. Deb will be meeting with a personal trainer, certified Yoga instructor, next week. He is interested in establishing a donation-based Yoga class (no fee, pay what you can) so we would be able to offer to people who want it. Hatha Yoga. Does not involve any of the spiritual language. Just yoga. Noah was trained by the person who leads yoga at the cathedral.

Assignment of Vestry liaisons to SWEEPS teams:

  • Stewardship: Paula Menconi
  • Worship and Liturgy: Sally Hanson
  • Education: Lynda Dyer, Josh Senn
  • Outreach: Connie Towey, Pat Hambly
  • Evangelism: TBD
  • Parish Life: Ron Luttringer
  • Pastoral Care: Stan Applegate
  • Buildings and Grounds: Les Marks, Josh Senn

New Business

Fundraising Committee. Deb explained the reasoning for a Fundraising Committee, separate from Parish Life Committee and St. Christopher’s Guild. She indicated that she has asked Marj Leeds, Fran Trant, John Heyse, Stan Applegate to start up the committee.  The reforming of the Hospitality Committee is also underway, which will be charged with overseeing Coffee Hour.  Rev. Deb asked for suggestions on someone to head-up the Greeters.

No Smoking on campus. More signage is needed. Deb will order and have them posted inside and outside the buildings.

Vacation schedules. Jennifer: 7/15-7/25. Rev. Deb: 8/9-17. It was M/S/C (Marks/Hanson) to approve the rector’s vacation days.

Eagle Court Ceremony. On Saturday, September 8, the church will host Jose Dyer’s Eagle Scout Court Ceremony, in the sanctuary, followed by a reception in the parish hall.

Rally Evening. Also, on September 8, following the Eagle Court ceremony and reception, the church will celebrate the annual Rally Evening with a movie, karaoke, bounce house, etc.

General Convention round-up. Deb reported on the highlights from General Convention:

  • Cuba readmitted to Episcopal Church;
  • House of Deputies approved a resolution for revision of the Book of Common Prayer, which the House of Bishops completely overhauled and sent back to the House of Deputies. It is expected that a BCP revision won’t be seen until 2030, if a revision resolution passes.
  • House of Bishops rejected Israel Palestine resolution sent to them from the House of Deputies, which would end church financial complicity for Israel occupation.
  • Resolutions related to marriage equality from the House of Deputies has been reworked by House of Bishops and sent back to House of Deputies.
  • Three resolutions related to immigration have been sent to House of Deputies and are pending.

Rev. Deb noted that if anything coming out of convention affects the canons, it takes another three years for final approval.

Closed Session. There was consensus/action in closed session to move forward on a personnel issue as discussed.

Closing Prayer and Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 7:20 p.m. with dismissal by Deacon Walter.

Respectfully submitted,

Jennifer Sabroe, Clerk

Leave a Reply