Vestry minutes for September 9, 2020

Present:  The Reverend Dr. Deborah White (Rector), Joshua Senn (Jr. Warden), Amelia Brooks, Chandra Damele, Sally Hanson, David Kennedy, Jane Ramsey, Connie Towey, Stephanie Zichichi

Not present:  Christina Reich, (Sr. Warden) 

Guests:  The Rev. Walter Ramsey, Ted Lynch and Joyce Lannert, Michele Lynch Cobb’s brother and sister. Columba Salamony, Field Education Student, Beth Ilog, Jim Ilog, Sarah Williams (Parish Administrator)

M/S/C denotes motion made, seconded and carried. The names following M/S/C in parenthesis denote the persons who made the motion and seconded.

Call to Order and Opening Prayer. The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. and led in prayer by Rev. Deb.

Bible Study. A litany of being God’s instruments of goodness, by Joyce Rupp. The group read and discussed the poem and litany.

Guests:  Michele Lynch Cobb’s brother and sister, Ted Lynch and Joyce Lannert, expressed the family’s good wishes, their gratitude for the support the church gave to Michele, and their pleasure in the bequest that Michele was able to give to Grace.

 Consent Agenda. It was M/S/C (Towey/Zichichi) to approve the consent agenda items: Minutes of August 12, 2020; Rector’s Report; Treasurer’s Report; Senior Warden Report; Junior Warden Report

OLD BUSINESS

Rev. Deb introduced our new Field Education Student, Columba Salamony. He is a second-year student at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific, studying to be an Episcopal priest, and will do his internship at Grace during this coming school year.

Chandra Damele was welcomed to the vestry.  Chandra is filling the unexpired term left by Betty Case, who is moving away.  Betty was in the second year of her term.

Ministry Updates

Outreach — Committee has not met, but will have a meeting soon.  Winter Nights is planning to continue this winter, but plans are being adjusted for the pandemic.

Worship and Liturgy — Sally reported that the major topic at the August meeting was the in-person service, and at the upcoming September meeting they will discuss whether to continue it.  The largest attendance so far has been seven people (ten total), the smallest was three (six total).  The service is appreciated by the attendees, and also there is a good deal of work involved for Rev. Deb and for the volunteers who serve and clean the chairs and so on.

Welcoming  — Tina still needs more coffee hour hosts.

Education — Amelia Brooks has taken on responsibility for the adult education portion of education ministry, including the Faithful Forum series.  She is also looking into EfM (Education for Ministry).  Godly Play is going well, regularly goes out every Thursday.

Pastoral Care — Deacon’s Pantry is very well stocked, and visits to it have fallen off somewhat. The parish has seen several illnesses, and three recent deaths.  Tom Taylor’s funeral will be held Saturday, September 12, simulcast on Facebook so that all may participate.  

Parish Life — David reported that at the last vestry meeting we discussed beginning a virtual men’s group or parent group. Stephanie mentioned the possibility of a drive-up Oktoberfest.  If giving out food is both allowed and safe, it would be a good event.  [Stephanie pointed out that we need a working church directory.  Sarah will send a vestry phone list and help Stephanie to get back into her Realm account.]  Rev. Deb reported that we are holding a drive-in movie on Friday, September 18, for safe fun and fellowship. The costs are a gift from Gary Spenik — the screen, the transmitter, and the royalty payment for the rights to show the movie.  Please invite everyone!  The movie is Night at the Museum.  If this first, free event is successful, we could do it again as a fundraiser, charging admission. 

Stewardship — We still need a stewardship chair to organize the pledge drive.

Buildings and Grounds — 

Video and Sound System/Audiovisual Booth:  The future audiovisual booth off the choir loft is being prepared.  We have contracted for the sound system, keeping the price to the $25,000 that the vestry voted. Rev. Deb reminded vestry members to ask questions if they have concerns about spending (or anything) because it is up to them to provide accurate information to parishioners. She reminded the Vestry that funds for the audiovisual system are not from the regular budget; part of it is from non-earmarked buildings and grounds savings, part comes from portions of the music budget that are going unused due to the nature of our music program during quarantine, and part of it comes from the bequest left by Michele Lynch Cobb, and from three anonymous donors, each donating $3000.  Marj Leeds cleaned out the space; Gary Spenik cleaned and painted it.  We will soon have a start and end date for the installation of the system.  We will have three cameras, two fixed and one that can be used remotely, such as outside or in the parish hall.

The back stairs off the kitchen did not pass inspection because they code requires a railing; a person has been found to install a railing and it is in progress. Dick Evans is taking the lead on this.

The back steps are being expanded to the length of the sliding glass window. Gary Spenik is coordinating this effort.

The gutters have been installed but the drainage is still in process. Dick Evans and Jim Maniatis have a plan for this.

Discovery Builders has given the formal ten-day notice that they will be on our property beginning September 14, as arranged, to facilitate their project.  Marj Leeds has offered to check on them daily to see that they are complying with the contract, but other volunteers would be welcome to help with this. They took down our fence, and the contract requires that anything they damage must be replaced with something better.  Rev. Deb assumes that they will build a stone wall in that place, since that is what they are building elsewhere on their property.  We also have a $10,000 deposit from them, in case of damage. They expect to need access for two weeks or less.  We will allow Las Trampas to use the lower lot for the duration, to avoid damage.

NEW BUSINESS

Rev. Deb reported that Center of Gravity Academy, a school for children of essential workers, wants to rent three areas of our campus four days per week for approximately 12-18 months while their new property is being completed.They would be using the Parish Hall, Education Building and outside areas. Facilities Manager Dru Grissom has been working with them to determine how the relationship would work. Rev. Deb has been in touch with other rectors/vicars whose congregations house schools and with Christopher Hayes, the Chancellor of the Diocese, regarding the legal aspects of the potential rental. Marj Leeds has been calculating the financial aspects of the possible relationship. Rev. Deb reported that our attorney will check the contract prior to it being signed. The next step is for Marj, in her capacity as our Godly Play coordinator, to meet with the school principal and walk the site, identifying more specifically how we would share the space and then for Rev. Deb, Dru, and Marj to meet with both the Executive Director and the Head of School by Zoom on Monday. Vestry members asked questions about the proposed rental. Rev. Deb clarified that the vestry does not need to approve the rental but that she would like to have their approval. Several vestry members said they would like to review the contract prior to it being signed. It was agreed to have a special vestry meeting next Wednesday, September 16 at 6:30 pm for an update and to express support for the rental.

DISMISSAL  Rev. Walter led the dismissal and the meeting adjourned at 8:25 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Sarah Williams

Parish Administrator

Leave a Reply